Labral Tear Physical Therapy
WHAT IS A LABRAL TEAR IN THE SHOULDER?
The labrum is a small piece of cartilage that connects the shoulder socket to the joint, keeping it in place. When this cartilage tears, it is known as a shoulder labral tear. Depending on the severity of the tear, your doctor may recommend conservative treatment options, which may include PT. We treat torn labrum injuries along with many other shoulder conditions, ranging from simple injuries to the most complex conditions, and can provide a shoulder labral tear rehabilitation program that meets your individual needs.
WHAT CAUSES A LABRAL TEAR?
A torn labrum in the shoulder is usually caused by one of the following:
- Repetitive overhead arm movements
- Lifting heavy objects overhead, such as weightlifting
- Falling on an outstretched arm
- Falling directly on your shoulder
- Bracing yourself on an outstretched arm during a motor vehicle accident
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF A LABRAL TEAR?
The symptoms of a labral tear in the shoulder may include the following:
- Aching pain deep in the shoulder joint
- Popping or cracking sound in the shoulder
- Pain while participating in sports, especially those involving overhead motions
DO I NEED PT FOR A LABRAL TEAR?
In many cases, a labrum tear in the shoulder can be treated using conservative therapies including PT. Our team offers one on one care for patients suffering from labral tears, as well as many other shoulder injuries. Our approach utilizes the latest treatment modalities that are personalized to meet your specific needs and help you get back to your daily life. We believe that everyone deserves a chance at a pain free life and with the proper intervention, we can make that a reality.